Monday, November 27, 2006

Shorts in November

It had been a month since I'd been in Watauga County, so I figured it was about time to head back up the mountain. Lucky for me, Appalachian State grads Jeff Crum, television's own Kris Cook, and Crum's pal Greg Elmore invited me along for a 1st round Division 1-AA playoff game in Boone. The Mountaineers were hosting upstart Coastal Carolina. Coastal's mascot is the Chanticleers. Evidently a Chanticleer is a rooster or a gamecock. I think a rooster would have served as a better name for a mascot, but I went to a school that didn't even have a football team so what the hell do I know?
We got to Boone early, parked, and moved along to Boone Drug for a Parson's special. We then retreated to the parking lot for pregame festivities that consisted of tossing the football and drinking beer. Before the game we noticed Chancellor Kenneth Peacock walking around the parking lot with an excited look on his face and the National Championship trophy in his arms. We stopped him and he gladly took a picture with Elmore and Cook even giving Greg the championship ring. Chancellor Peacock appeared to be half cocked like the rest of us and was ready for a good time. He would eventually lead the band in the fight song and do some cheers on the sidelines.
Kickoff temperatures were more than 60 degrees which meant we could wear shorts. Not that the temp really made a difference, but we got fewer weird looks than we typically do. Former co-worker Steve White hooked us up with some sweet tickets around the rich folks. That was weird since we aren't rich folks and we were trying to sneak mini-bottles of Crown into our Cokes. I don't think anyone saw us. I don't normally drink liquor, and I don't plan to drinking it again anytime real soon, but I enjoyed the medicine Saturday.
The Happy Appies dominated the first half and tried to let the Chanticleers back in it in the second half but went on to win and will host Montana St. this coming Saturday in Round 2. Kidd Brewer Stadium is a fine place to watch a football game. I hadn't been there since 1995 when Marshall came down the mountain and got whipped, so it was nice to be back.
Following the game we found a nekkid lady statue. Kris Cook was pretty happy about it. Thanks to Elmore's no less than 90 mph yet safe driving style, we were back in Chateau de Crum in Huntersville by eleven. Saturday didn't suck. I'm glad three Mountaineers didn't mind a college dropout like myself join in a day of good times.

2 comments:

Jeff Crum said...

Wow.. who's that fat guy behind Cook? Oh wait.. that was me... sheesh. Jenny Craig.

Anonymous said...

Rest in Peace This Blog May or May Not Suck(mostly may)