Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Vacationland

I'd mentioned last month that I was heading back to Las Vegas for my second National Association of Broadcasters convention. Unfortunately budget cuts within the company a few weeks ago shat all over the hotel room(Travers') I was crashing in. I still could have gone out there, but I didn't feel it was worth 600 bucks on a room for myself for a few days. So, what does a 27 year old man do when a trip to Vegas complete with parties, open bars, tons of television geeky fun and poker is canceled?? You go to Maine! I called Kate and Adam to make sure they didn't mind an impromptu visit to New England. It was going to work out well. I'd fly to Boston Sunday, meet them at Fenway Park for a Red Sox game, then head to Portland for a few days of fun.
Unfortunately, a huge Nor'easter was hitting about the same time I arrived. You may be wondering what a Nor'easter is. I went and asked Chief Meteorologist Jeff Crum and he responded with a couple of weather terms. I looked confused and he came back with, "It's basically just a big assed storm." I agree. Cold, windy, snowy and rainy are the four words that describe the weather for the duration of my trip. Weather really sucked. Company really didn't. Shub picked me up in Boston and gave me a quick tour of the city. We stopped at Fenway and grabbed a sandwich at a bar near Faneuil Hall. From there we rolled up to Portland, picked up Kate and headed straight to Yarmouth for a tour of her hometown. Above is the house where Kate grew up. It's a beautiful street in a small neighborhood that's so close, the neighbors all own a campground and a red pickup truck together.
Here's the North Yarmouth Academy. This isn't a picture I'd normally take, but the snow made it a nice picture and Charlotte, USA mayor Pat McCrory attended the school for a year when he was just a budding demopublican.
From Yarmouth we made our way south to the picturesque town of Freeport. If you're scratching your head trying to remember why Freeport, Maine sounds familiar, it's where L.L. Bean is headquartered. They've got a store that is open 24 hours year round. Weird. We had dinner at the Harraseeket Inn where the Shubs are getting married in that snowy courtyard you see above. Everyone hopes for better weather in late September. For dinner I tried a cup of lobster stew. It didn't really care for it, but I think it's just because there was a ton of butter in it. I don't know, maybe that's how's it's supposed to be. Kate and Adam went for a lobster roll which is basically lobster meat mixed with mayonaise and cabbage(I think) then layered onto a hot dog bun. I opted for an organic burger which was one of the best I've ever had. That's right, I ate a huge burger. I was on vacation from eating healthy, too. Getting gas brought back fond memories. I grew up filling the tanks on family cars at Gladden's Gulf on Lawyers Rd. It was cool to see a Gulf station. One of several in that general direction. Back to food. We ate well while I was there. Despite the hurricane like conditions, nothing closes. Bars and restaurants were wide open. Monday night we ate at the Flatbread Pizza Company down by the rapidly rising waterfront in Portland. It's an organic pizza resturant. You've noticed the organic restaurant theme in Portland. I like it a lot. One of the best pizzas I've ever had. Really effing good pizza.
When it's 35 degrees and raining in the middle of golf season you resort to playing golf indoors. With the help of our friends at Google Tuesday, Adam found this place and we were playing Bay Hill in minutes. It took a lot of getting used to, especially the putting. It was a good time. They even sell beer, which is nice.
Tuesday night we ventured to South Portland to another waterfront place, Joe's Boathouse. This night, I really ate too much. So much that I felt my heard beating faster than it normally does. It was a HUGE tuna steak with some amazing sides and a salad. Good eating. We even met Joe, who I noticed whilst resizing this picture peed his pants right before Kate jumped in for this shot.

Portland is a good place. The people were friendly. Indoor golf isn't really that bad. It's a beautiful place as long as a Nor'easter isn't pummeling the coastline during your trip. Adam and Kate are well. Adam started working at a law firm this week and Kate is whipping ass doing the morning reporter thing. Since we won't make it up for the wedding, I'm glad they let me invade their home on the Back Cove for a few days.

No comments: