Monday, February 04, 2008

Hitched

I met The Lady's dad for lunch Friday. This may sound normal to many of you but in almost two years with The Lady, I've never had lunch with him. He was pretty sure why I invited him. Less than 90 seconds after my arrival I said to him, "I bought your daughter a ring and want to make sure it's alright with you she wear it." He responded saying he was honored I asked. He then gave me four quick requirements of his daughter's husband. We worked that out before I even ordered a sweet tea. With that out of the way we spent the rest of lunch talking about things that really didn't have anything to do with marriage. We talked about work. He's retiring at the end of the year so he's excited about cutting grass at the golf course so he can play free golf. We talked about how nutty local tv news is. It was a nice time. Your friendly neighborhood police officer Tim and I visited Diamonds Direct Southpark, the official jewler of the Carolina Panthers, before Christmas and found a stone I thought she'd like. Then about three or four weeks ago I went ahead and paid for it. I knew I was going to ask The Lady to marry me, I just didn't know when I was gonna do it. I figured it'd be sooner than later, but I didn't know when. It hit me during the middle of last week that I'd better hurry up and ask. I don't think she was getting impatient or anything, but I was ready to marry this womern whom I'm deeply in love with.
My pockets are always full of things some may consider crap but they're important to me. In my right pocket sits my big assed wallet. In my left pocket resides lip balm, keys, gum, camera and phone. Friday night, I added a small box with a ring inside. Usually I'll sit down on the couch with the lady and she'll quickly tell me to empty my pockets because they poke her hips when she sits next to me. Well, it took about an hour Friday night for her to ask so I stood up and pulled out the box o' ring first. She gave it a weird look and didn't realize what I was doing. When I opened the box she let out a few excited sqeals as I proposed. Oh, she said yes, too! We're looking at a fall wedding. There's already a website(which she agreed to use www.thisweddingmayormaynotsuck.com for but we decided for our parent's sake we'd keep it simple. She's handling all of the website duties.) but not an exact date or location.

Saturday we made a bunch of phone calls and went on the tour of families to make the announcement. Then Saturday night we had sister Anna's birthday party. Anna was a great sport about it. It didn't dawn on me until midweek the engagement would fall on Anna's birthday and I felt kinda shitty about it, but she was cool. Happy Birthday Anna!

Now that The Lady is The Fiancee, I reckon I'll simply call her Jennifer from now on. I've been practicing my yes ma'am's and whatever you think will be just fine with me honey's. I'm getting pretty good at it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonderful! congratulations!

Lenslinger said...

Congrats, Adam. You guys will make beautiful red-headed babies someday...

Anonymous said...

You're so cute and for the 3rd or 4th time...congrats...soooo happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you and Jennifer!! I'm so excited for you both. Love the way you decided to pop the question, too!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both of you!!!!

Unknown said...

You two are going to love this process! Congratulations. I feel tickled to know that I was at News 14 when you first clicked. What a cool couple you will be. If you have any questions - I just got through a huge wedding. I'd love to help.

Unknown said...

Forewarning: this comment may or may not suck.

You know how I constantly lose touch with the world. I heard through the grapevine that you were engaged and wanted to send a truly heartfelt congratulations. I've read much about this 'lady' and she sounds perfectly delightful. You're one of the most genuine people I have ever known and I am glad you have met your match.

Take care and I hope we'll catch up soon.

~Wes