Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Radiohead in Charlotte, USA

I'm not certain I have a favorite band. There are several bands I really enjoy for different reasons. Back when Launch.com started back around the turn of the millennium I was working overnights for NBC NewsChannel. I spent hours listening to bands I sort of knew, and bands I didn't know at all. All I knew of Radiohead was that song Creep which I hated because the girl I was in love with in high school told me that was going to be she and her boyfriend's wedding song. She ended up marrying another guy by the way, and I don't think Creep was played at her wedding. Anyway, I heard a few Radiohead songs on launch and decided they didn't suck so off I went to Border's one night before work, picked up their 1995 album called The Bends and I listened to it, and only it for damn near six months. Of course, that burned me a bit on the band until 2003 when they released Hail to the Thief and I was in love all over again. I wore that CD out that summer in my 84 Volvo that had no breaks, but a great CD player. Anyway, Radiohead has always been one of my favorites. Perhaps my favorite.

I bought for tickets to see last week's show a few months ago. Shawn, Campbell and his pal Tracy joined me Friday night. Shawn and I grilled out and got there early for pre-show beer drinking. When I went beer shopping Friday afternoon I grabbed a 12 pack of High Life Light. I wasn't certain that'd be enough so I grabbed a six pack of Milwaukee's Best Ice. I HIGHLY recommend Beast Ice for pre-show drinking. It packs an alcohol volume of 5.9 percent and really jump starts a good show. Well, maybe it was the Stanly County shine we found in Shawn's van. It was definitely one of the two.

The show was great. Sure they played a bunch of slow songs, but it was Radiohead. They do that a lot and it wasn't unexpected. They played one song from The Bends in the first encore. Planet Telex whipped a ton of ass and despite all of the slow songs, Radiohead did, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude ... Just got caught up on months of TBMOMNS(MM). You've done a bang up job keeping it going. Thanks for the recent shout out. Tell JT I said 'what up,' and to email me with more info on how I can password protect RR.

Anonymous said...

**cough cough** UPDATE **cough cough**

~M