Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Cleaning Out the Phone Part 1

I miss having Jason Bronis around the QC. I also miss his wonderful blog he shut down a year or so ago. My favorite feature of his was Cleaning out the Cell Phone pictures. I had two hours to kill whilst waiting for Michelle Obama Monday afternoon so instead of blogging about that event, I decided to clean out several of the hundred or so pictures I had in my phone. Thanks for the idea, Bronis. Holly at The Gin Mill got Travers, Mark Campbell and myself tickets to see The Flaming Lips. This was last fall sometime. September maybe? Hell, maybe even August. I'd only heard wonderful things about The Flaming Lips' live shows and I took the day off to make sure I got in. A cooler of Milwaukee's Best Ice and this yellow coozie were my best friend that afternoon. I got a pretty good spot in line and drank the aforementioned beverages while I waited for the doors to open.
The four of us(Kathy literally landed from Ireland an hour before the show) rolled inside and were handed laser pointers. As soon as the show started they released fifty or so of these big assed balloons for everyone to volley around for the duration of the show. This of course was accompanied by several dancers dressed up in Santa Claus suits, robot suits and even a few bunny suits if I remember correctly.
The laser show was nuts. Everyone in the crowd had their own to compliment the ones they had on the stage. The entire show whipped ass from start to finish. The band even blew their system before their final song so they had to finish up acoustically. It didn't matter. I left this show feeling great about life in general. Perhaps the best show I've ever seen. Definitely in my top three along with U2 in 2001, and The Drive-By Truckers with Slobberbone in 2000 at The Double Door.
Did I mention Jennifer and I went to New York City in December? We both enjoy the city and had never been at Christmas time so we rented an apartment on Craig's List and spent three days up there doing a shit ton of walking, bag shopping, eating and bar hopping. In fact, I bet we had 20 drinks while we were there and each one of them came from a different bar. We had a great time walking around looking at Christmas decorations. Above we're standing in front of Fox News Channel. Tim Baier's bro hooked us up with a tour. Unfortunately Shep was in makeup. The McGraw-Hill Building is to the left of my melon. It's the home of Sirius! We couldn't get in, though. I also bought this rather gay looking toboggan since I left mine at home. Feel free to leave toboggan comments in the comments section.
We did get into Crumb's Bakeshop, home of the Artie Lange cupcake. It only cost about 4 bucks and it's freaking enormous. Tasty, too. We had a blast in NYC. Everyone thought we were going to come back to Charlotte engaged.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was at all three of those shows, how bout that?! Aren't I special??

I also miss Bronis' blog terribly, couldn't he make it password protected and just let us cool people read it?? I really enjoyed living vicariously through his assignments...

-jt