Friday, January 26, 2007

It's Not Warm in Maine

I hate sad posts here on thisblogmayormaynotsuck.blogspot.com, I really do hate them. Kate Barker took a job back home as the morning reporter at the CBS affiliate in Portland, Maine. That's right, Maine. Kate left Charlotte, USA Thursday evening and was greeted with a high of six degrees Friday in Portland. That's heinous, and no way to spend a week, much less an entire season every year. The move is great for Kate and her fiancee and fellow reporter Adam. He spent months preparing for the LSAT with nobody knowing about it. He passed it during the holidays and will enter law school in the fall somewhere in the greater New England area. I just can't believe someone would leave television news. I mean, you get paid 30,000 bucks and your face is on television every day!!! Isn't that great?? In law, you'll at least triple that and never work weekends! We all knew this was coming, that Kate and Adam would head back to the land of no golf in February, but it didn't make it any easier when Kate left last week. To ward off any sad feelings, we went and did what we typically do. We went to the Gin Mill and drank beer!!

The party started at 6:30 Wednesday night. This picture was at 10:45 pm shortly after The Lady and I arrived. I honestly didn't think Kate would still be standing, but she paced herself like a veteran reporter tracking a funeral package.

Here's Brian and Campbell. Brian and his brother Mark went to go see John Eddie at Amos' so they were able to drop in for a 24 oz. Pabst Blue Ribbon. Campbell bought all of my beer Wednesday. Thanks Mark!
Kate wanted me to sing Suspicious Minds Wednesday, but some no talent assclown sang it before me. I went with Burning Love instead. I reckon they don't play Elvis in Maine. She made sure I sang an Elvis song.
Todd Baldwin and Tim Baier were pretty into this shuffleboard game. It looks like Tim was drinking liquor. Tim likes to dance when he drinks. He should dance more often. He pulls it off much better than your average white dude in his twenties.
On the other end of the table Adam Shub and Broders were actually taking the game seriously. Luckily we get to keep Adam for two more months before he heads north. He'll likely play as much golf as possible.
Broders lost the serious streak and hit the dance floor with Kate for the first of many grinding sessions. I'm pretty sure they were whippin' it to Sexy Back for this picture.
Here's Kate trying to explain to Brian that Maine really isn't all that bad. Here's Brian trying to tell Kate that several weeks of mud while the winter's snow and ice melts before Spring really isn't all that cool.
These pictures are for Kate's parents. Here's Kate dancing with a complete stranger. He's not a stranger to everyone, just Kate. Derek sings a lot Wednesday nights at the Gin Mill. He's damn good and I'd just as soon not follow him. Especially after he does Nelly's Hot In Here.
It sucks Kate has to take off. I've always hear that Canadians are just like Southerners without the accent. That's kind of how Kate is. She adapted here very quickly, and is nicer and more hospitable than many southerners I know. She'll be happy in Maine. She's close to her parents, sister and two nieces. She belongs there, but she's certainly left a good sized portion or her big assed heart right here in Charlotte USA. Wednesday was good, Kate is already missed.

4 comments:

-AcesFull said...

great pics--the Klownboxer tribute is on my page.

Anonymous said...

The Tim Baier dance looks like a good 6 New Investigation!

Road Reporter said...

"She paced herself like a veteran reporter tracking a funeral package."

Genius. Pure genius.

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.