Tuesday, March 11, 2008

2008

I realized a few minutes ago it'd been eight days since I posted here and I damned sure don't want to be make the Lenslinger's "Photogs who Kinda Blog" list so I'm going to talk about all the neat shit I have planned for the year. I'll go in reverse order.

I'd post a recent picture of Jennifer and I, but I don't think we've taken one since the day after we got engaged more than a month ago. We get married October 25th here in Charlotte, USA. There will be family, friends, food and cold beer. I'm somehow pretty involved in the planning of the wedding without being too involved in the process. We visited and chose venues. We visited three caterers and will choose one in the next week or two. I think we're probably going to have my pal Larry in Florida come up and shoot the wedding for us so that's taken care of. We even have a wedding director so we'll have to worry less. We're keeping it pretty simple so the planning is pretty simple. The only real pain in the ass will be the guest list. We've come to the realization there will be hurt feelings when some folks aren't invited to the wedding and that hurts me. Regardless, I'm still looking forward to it. Oh, we're buying a house, too. So we got that going for us.
I tried to return to the NAB show last year but ended up in Maine in the middle of a Nor'easter. I'm going to give it another go this year. I love the show. It's miles of neat tv stuff I'll probably never use. It's still very exciting to look at all this stuff and talk to people from all over the world who do the same things we do and try to make it better. Oh yeah, and the show's in Vegas. That's cool, too. I'll be there for less than three days which is about two days too long to be in Vegas, but I'll survive. Hopefully I'll eat some free food, meet some good folks, see some folks I haven't seen a while, and maybe even play a hand or fifty of poker. I'm looking forward to Vegas, but if I end up in Maine again, that'd be just fine. I'll fly to Vegas with Tim Baier to meet up with Travers the Monday after......... we cover the freakin' Masters Tournament for a week! Let's be honest. At times, our jobs suck. At times, our jobs can be the greatest thing in the history of the world. This is indeed one of those times. Golf is special to a lot of people. Augusta National is as close to heaven on earth as it gets. It is literally a spiritual experience. Dad took me down in 1996 to the Monday practice round. That day we got to see Tom Watson, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, John Freakin' Daly, Greg Norman and even a young amateur Tiger Woods walk the fairways. Nick Faldo ended up winning that year after Greg Norman pulled out a choke job Tony Romo would envy. Assuming the boss approves the trip, we're there to cover Virginia Tech junior Drew Weaver who grew up in High Point, won the British Amateur last year and is playing his first Masters tournament. Oh, and there's a lottery every year for the media. If your name is drawn, you get to play Augusta National the Monday after the Masters. That means Tim Baier and I have a shot to play Augusta National and hands of poker in Las Vegas the same day. Nothing about that sucks. Nothing at all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Me and 'Slinger have our tickets and we'll be in Vegas, baby, Vegas!