Monday, March 03, 2008

A CIAA Thursday

I don't know this for sure, but I'm pretty sure The Saw Doctors are the most popular rock band from Ireland in the history of the world. Except for U2. Jim Travers has been singing their praises for years along with Campbell and others. Thursday was the third or fourth time they played Charlotte and the first time in two or three years.
The Visulite served as a perfect venue for the show. It was a great crowd with people who were as young as seven or eight and I saw a couple who had to be in their mid sixties. They knew every word to every song. The audience also included Charlotte's top tourism official who after watching him at this show I'm convinced is the biggest Saw Doctors fan in America.
Travers may disagree. He's been emailing the band and their promoters for the last couple of years reminding them there are several Saw Doctors fans here and they always draw a good crowd. In fact, Travers tells himself he is at least 50 percent responsible for their return to Charlotte. For the last six months he's been pimping the show trying to get everyone to show up and many people did. Everyone that knows Jim considers him a happy person, and I've seen Jim happy on several occasions. It may have been in Vegas, or after winning a large poker tournament, at a place on Wilkinson Blvd., after the Panthers whipped the Eagle's ass in Philadelphia in the 2003 NFC championship, but I'm pretty sure Thursday night was the happiest I've seen Jim.
The show didn't suck. I only knew one Saw Doctor's song, but came away with an appreciation for a band that sounds nothing like a band I'd normally listen to. The lead singer has a higher voice that screams, "I'M IRISH" when he sings. The bass player whipped out a tenor saxophone for a song or two. The keyboard player sang some fine harmonies all while switching instruments intermittently during the show. He fancied an accordion and guitar even better than he did keys. I missed half the show but really enjoyed the 90 minutes of it I did see. I'm a fan of damn near any band that will close out their show with a couple of songs with three effing guitars in it.

No comments: