Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Tunes

I'm continuing my effort at keeping my personal promise to go to more shows this year. I'm terribly glad I did. A few days ago I saw Stars at The Neighborhood Theatre. They only played for a little more than 90 minutes but it felt like three hours. They whipped a ton of ass for Canadians. Speaking of the Neighborhood Theatre, it used to be a neat place to see a show. Now it is a sensational place to see a show. They finally took the seats out main area creating a great place to stand and see a rock show. I hate sitting at shows and that was always my gripe about the Theatre. Thank God they've mixed it up.
A few weeks ago I saw Built to Spill at the Theatre. They are another band I heard on Sirius and really enjoy. Plus, the Meat Puppets opened. They were weird and I didn't really care for their music, but it was only three guys. A drummer, bassist and lead guitar and they were really loud and had a good time which means the crowd enjoyed them, too. Built to Spill was interesting. Five members playing some neat sounds brought together by the lead singer's unique voice. Speaking of the lead singer, it's great to see a short dude with male pattern baldness front a whip ass band.

These last couple of shows have given me hope for the music scene here in Charlotte, USA. It's rare a band I really want to see plays here. Normally they'll hit Asheville then head to the Raleigh area for another show. Maybe the promoters in town are realizing they can get enough people out for an indie rock show. The Stars and Built to Spill were packed. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is next up in a couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Adam...it might be early in the evening for you (if you're working second that night) but next Wednesday, 4/30, check out Tommy Womack at the Evening Muse. Show time is 8:00.

www.myspace.com/tommywomack

He will probably be playing solo, which will be good. If he's with a band he will rock your face off. But solo will be awesome, too.