Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Grand Opening

Saturday didn't suck. Unfortunately, The Lady was called in to work to help with inclement weather coverage which meant I had a Saturday with no plans. A quick call to tv's Kris Cook turned into three hours of beer drinking and video games which is the right thing to do on a rainy Saturday. For the record, Cook beat me in both Madden and college football, the former in an overtime thriller. I beat him in hockey and soccer.About 10:00 I rolled over to Central Ave. for the Thirsty Beaver Saloon's opening night. The parking lot was packed so I had to park across the street. That's a good sign for business. I walked inside and saw a bar that was slammed with people enjoying themselves. Brian greeted me at the door and I filled out the government required membership application. Since Brian and Mark aren't selling food at their establishment, state law forces them to be a private club which means everyone has to fill out an application. Brian ran out of membership cards early in the evening and ran out of applications by eleven. Obviously they weren't expecting the sizable crowd that showed up.
Mark was a busy man behind the bar pouring drinks and opening cans of domestic beer. Those beers included Pabst Blue Ribbon, Miller High Life, Miller High Life Light, Miller Lite, Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Light and Yuengling. One of their pals in the neighborhood is the Heineken rep so they carry Heineken and Heineken Light in a separate refrigerator next to the bar. Anyway, thanks to the shit ton of people that came out Saturday, the bar's opening was an enormous success. I think a part Brian and Mark are still can't believe they own a bar and actually made some money Saturday. Whilst making my way to the bar for another High Life Light the nice young lady pictured above stopped me saying, "Excuse me, I know this sounds weird but I think I commented on your blog today." It turns out she and her boyfriend Shane met a dude earlier Saturday that told them about the Beaver, so she googled it and up came the previous blog post. I'll be damned. Christa and Shane were nice folks and seemed to be having a good time.
Everyone was having a good time. Campbell was enjoying High Life Lights along with Heather, Brooke and Chris. I'll probably get to see Heather more now that The Beaver's open. Hell, I'll get to see a lot of people more now that I don't see often enough. I see Brook and Chris about twice a year but I damn sure enjoy their company those two times a year. Good people. The Thirsty Beaver whips ass like everyone knew it would. The bar is an extension of Brian and Mark's personalities which means it's full of good times. If you're own Central Ave, drop in and ring the doorbell. One of them will be behind the bar to let you in for a can of cold beer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please pass this along to your friends who opened the Thirsty Beaver:
Hey - haven't had a chance to check out your bar yet, but my husband and neighbor went this weekend and loved it. I heard you are thinking of getting some country music when the weather warms up, well may I suggest Robbie Fulks. I think he is termed "alt-country" but he is great and does an awesome live show - I have seen him twice at the Evening Muse over the past couple years. His website is - www.robbiefulks.com - there is booking info on there. Hope to see y'all soon!!