Friday, January 11, 2008

I Want to Be More Like This Guy

The first time I visited Bryan Frank's blog a couple years ago, I thought it was boring. Maybe it was a couple of posts I read and took the wrong way, but it didn't do much for me.

A few months ago I checked the blog again and I freakin' love it. BFrank is a news photographer in Los Angeles who does something most tv photogs like us don't do very well. He takes professional grade still shots while he's out on his assignments. But this isn't really what I like about BFrank. He enjoys simple things in life, then writes simply about them. He subtly mentions how much he loves spending time at home with his wife Dellis and how he didn't realize how much he'd missed his kids until there was a bunch of noise Christmas morning when they were home from college.

He's the kind guy that really wants to get fed up with his job some times. He wrote, "Miller time wouldn't even begin to describe what leaving the station felt like today. I'm at home, it's the weekend, and if I'm lucky, the station won't need another (truck) operator to cover the rain. It's been a long week." But two lines later, you can tell he sincerely loves what he does adding, "You know, if they do need an operator, I'm in."

He loves drink and good food. "The news was on and I was eating dinner. Grilled salmon on a bed of lettuce with ranch dressing, corn on the side and a glass of shiraz from the Barefoot label."

That quote describes this guy for me. A simple pleasure enjoyed simply.

I think it's partially because BFrank works in LA, a place that I desperately want to visit. He often talks of the pain of driving on the freeways during rush hour. Takes pictures of the town and generally shows and speaks of things your average East Coaster doesn't know about Southern California.

Check out my new favorite blog. BFrank appears to be the most content man in the Republic of California. That's a good way to be.

2 comments:

Lenslinger said...

I agree, beFrank's like some highly enlightened senior Jedi. And to think I lose my shit when the live truck burps.

Anonymous said...

Got about halfway through this post and quit. just wanted to say hi and hope you are having a productive January. Peace out, Homey!