Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I Wasn't Going to Post This

I went to Lowes Foods the other day to do some shopping for mom. She's doing much better, but still has some trouble if she's on her feet for extended periods of time. Anyway, it was triple coupons this week which means you get stupid discounts. In some cases, you actually get money back for items. Weird. Anyway, I spent more than an hour in the store going all over the place trying to find items that matched the coupons. I kept going past this couple who I would have guessed was homeless at first glance. Lowes is almost a yuppy grocery store with a ton of organic products and stuff. It was obvious this was the first time these folks had been there. These folks didn't look good, didn't smell good, and were terribly nice. We kept running into each other on random aisles looking for stuff and always joked around every time one of our carts was blocking the other. I watched the man closely inspect prices and it hit me that they really, really, really needed the discount these triple coupons provided. You could see it in their eyes. I was running around having a big ole time saving money and these folks were probably saving every penny because they absolutely had to. Of course, they may be millionaires and just don't look like it. Either way, it forced me to realize how fortunate I am and how small my problems are.

I wasn't going to post this, but I was looking at my old pal Ross Taylor's website. He's a still photographer and has some amazing pictures from all over the world. Many of those show how bad poverty is in some countries and it made me think.

No comments: