Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Not Working Doesn't Suck

I used to be a fatass. Not a huge fatass, but about 215 pounds. I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, and ate as though my dad hadn't had two heart attacks. After his second, I decided to change my lifestyle. He had been attending Cardiac Rehab for several years and seen good results. It's a combination of diet and exercise that helps your heart, lifestyle, and generally makes you a better person. I entered the program myself at 205 pounds and was as skinny as 176. That was probably a bit too skinny.

Anyway, the Cardiac Rehab program was fun. I was 25 amongst heart patients ranging in age from 35-84. It's basically a bunch of old rich guys who've had heart attacks. They all have a good time. Tuesday was the 13th annual Cardiac Rehab golf tournament at the beautiful Fort Mill Golf Club.
Here's our team. Jim McKernan is on the far left. Jim is 82 years old, whipped cancer's ass three times, suffers from heart disease, and could easily pass for 62 years old. Watching the man play golf and walk around a golf course is amazing. Tan Ganatra is on my left. He founded a multi-million dollar telecommunications company. Tan is easily one of my favorite people. He gets up every morning at 2:30 and doesn't go to bed until 10 at night. He's retired, but still works full time giving away millions of dollars at a time to charities around the world. It makes me want to be rich so I can give it all away. Tan whips ass. Phil Harmon literally rounded out our team. This was the third year we'd all played together.

Oh yeah, we actually won! Here's Tan sporting the proverbial green jacket.

2 comments:

Road Reporter said...

For a former fatass with grey hair, you keep a damn sweet blog!

Unknown said...

I'm blessed to know Tan Ganatra myself! He along with his family have become like family to me as well!! Wonderful people!