Monday, September 11, 2006

Atlanta Sucks

It's nothing personal against Atlantans, but more than half the time I roll down there, something bad happens. I've been involved in two car accidents in my driving history. One was in Atlanta, the other was in Charlotte on my way back from Atlanta. I've seen the Panthers lose in Atlanta, and been to some bad restaurants. However, there are some fine people there, none of whom play for the Falcons.
We got started with some good tailgating. Burgers, veggie burgers, and a couple of brats were involved along with a ton of domestic beer in cans. The crowd behind the station included Jim Travers, Mark Campbell, his son Rhannon(sorry Mark if I misspelled his name,) soon to be married Lori and Phillip were there, The Lady, my sister Anna, and her friend Yagnesh. Anna went out Saturday and bought herself a sweet Julius Peppers jersey making her brother pround in the process. Tailgating was good.

Tailgating was the high point of the afternoon. The Falcons came into Bank of America Stadium and beat the Riddel coaching shorts off of us. Our defense reminded me of 2001 and George Seifert. Jake wasn't throwing the ball well and even if he was, he had no time to throw it. I hate the Falcons, but my seats for the year are terrific. Sure they are 28 rows up in the upper deck, but the view is fantastic. Makes me not mind the long walk.
Shortly after we sat down, I heard someone shout, "Butler!!!!!!!!!" I turn around and it's my old pal Mike Boteilho with his wife Lenise(I think,) and his parents Bob and Nancy. Mike and I were tight in high school for a couple of years, then came the rest of life and we don't keep in touch any longer. The last time I saw Mike was at a Panthers game two years ago shortly after he'd gotten married. He and his family are true Panthers fans. They had season tickets the first year we had the Panthers and they played in Clemson. They also stay until the end of the game despite the score. It was great to see them.

Losing certainly isn't a reason to stay away from the Gin Mill for a post game beer. Typically a loss means a bad crowd but it was slammed after the game. I hate losing. I really hate losing to the Falcons, but football is beautiful, and Sunday was a great day to be an American.

No comments: