Monday, September 04, 2006

Stump this Town

Being from Mint Hill, we've always had a friendly rivalry with neighboring suburb Matthews. In Little League, it was fierce. In high school, same thing. The towns compete for businesses, malls, hospitals, etc..... I really like Matthews. The downtown area is nice, the people are nice, and they grow their women right, too. They used to have a festival called Stumptown. We'd go to the Stumptown Festival every few years just to look around. Mom and her friends would always go to get crafty stuff. I'd go eat funnel cakes. A few years ago they renamed it Matthews Alive for some gay reason. We'll continue to refer to it as Stumptown here on thisblogmayormaynotsuck.blogspot.com.
The Lady and I arrived at Stumptown mid-afternoon, grabbed a chilly fermented beverage at the Ale House and made our way through the exhibits. The booths winded around Matthews Elementary School and featured exciting things like muscadine grape juice, college themed paperweights, and this guy's sweet ass mullet.
Ugly Boy Flutes also had a booth. My old friend Bob Child is the brain behind these flutes. Bob was our morning meteorologist for the first two years of News14. He headed west for a while and came back a little over a year ago to marry his childhood sweetheart. He'll be doing mornings for our new Greensboro operation which begins in a month. Bob's been making these flutes for a long time and they are quite impressive. He also enjoys playing them on the back stoop at the station in between weather hits.

1 comment:

Kenneth said...

I'm glad Waxhaw doesn't suck. I live a couple of blocks from down town and go to the coffee shop every once in a while. I live there because it is so far away from Charlotte. I bet I can get to Waxhaw from the station faster that I can get to Mint Hill.

And No, what's the point of checking out the top shelf mags when they are wrapped in plastic and I can't take them into the restroom for a few minutes.