Monday, August 21, 2006

Bryan Adams is Cool for a Canadian

My pal Brian was born in the Summer of '69. That's 37 years ago. To celebrate this occasion, his family threw him a bash at his store, The Rat's Nest, over in the North Davidson neighborghood. I've known Brian for seven years. We worked together in Mooresville for a few years, both at our first television jobs. We had good times up there. We looked at high school chicks, tried to say 69 at least four times in every live to tape telecast we did. It may have been a high school basketball game, or the Statesville Christmas parade. Either way, we had a great time up there making some quality, horrible cable television. I owe Brian for several things. I owe him for my appreciation of live music by bands that aren't signed to major labels. I owe him for my apprecion of cheap, domestic beer. I owe Brian for my appreciation of classic country music. Brian's also one of my only friends who sincerely enjoys the NBA. I don't hang out with Brian as much as I'd like to. I'm always stuck on the south side of town, and don't make the effort to get over there as often as I should. That's him above with his mom and dad.
Renelvis came and played for a couple of hours with Brian and his brother Mark's band, The Loose Lugnuts. You think Renelvis is good with a karoke machine, just wait until you hear him a band that doesn't suck! Oh, my!
Brian's sister Sheila was getting Miller High Life Light out of the fridge and keeping an eye on the store since it was a gallery crawl night. That means business was better than your regular Friday night. She'd also vote for Kinky Friedman if she lived in Texas. Why the hell not?
Mark is a fine singer and guitar player. He plays his Telecaster especially well. Here he is backing up Renelvis.

As if the pink shirt wasn't gay enough, Brian went ahead and used it to cover up his 1983 Willie Nelson t-shirt. What the hell?

Happy Birthday, you whoremonger.

No comments: