Monday, August 28, 2006

Memories, and a Sick Police Chief

The Landis Police Chief who wanted a 13 year old girl to send her underwear to the police department was in federal court last Thursday. Unfortunately since the Greensboro US Attorney's office is the prosecutor, all of his court appearances will be in the triad, which means it's a road trip anytime he's in court. I didn't mind too much because I spent a year in Greensboro for college and had a lot of good times there. It's grown a lot since I was there, especially downtown. Elm Street is quite a beautiful drive these days and they have a new baseball park downtown for the Grasshoppers. I miss the old days of War Memorial Stadium, though.
Greensboro is full of good people. I met a lot of them standing on Market St. across from the courthouse. Flo works at the Hardee's around the corner. She told me how wonderful life is in the short conversations we had. In addition to making biscuits at Hardee's, she also works part time on the custodial staff as a janitor at that new baseball stadium. She really wanted us to go to the game that night, but I told her I had a football game to go to. I wasn't kidding either. The Panthers were hosting the Dolphins at 8:00. I broke down after the live shot, put on my jersey and hardhat, and got the eff out of there.

Oh, and Chief Childers was released on a $50,000 unsecured bond and must be with his wife at all times. His wife was holding his hand as they walked out of court. Bless her heart.

No comments: