Thursday, August 03, 2006

Carrying the Mel

My birthday started off with a trip to Central Piedmont Community College where Brandy Duncan is the mail carrier. He doesn't work for the postal service, but he spends his entire day going from room to room at CPCC's main campus delivering and picking up mail. Wednesday, U.S. Congressman Mel Watt took over Ashley's mail duties for some 'trading places' goof, so Rep. Watt cruised around with mail crates and spoke to students and staff. I actually like Mel Watt. He hasn't gotten all,'Look at me, I'm the head of the Black Political Caucus!' since he was elected to the post last year. He's always been nice to me when I've had to deal with him. However, I did see him at a Habitat for Humanity house a few years ago and he put on a t-shirt over his dress shirt and tie and carried six boards. Then he left. I also got to see my pal Dan Crawford. Dan's going to be a dad any day now. I think his lovely wife Shelly is due next week. Dan and I are political opposites so we always enjoy a good debate on a weekly basis. Dan's great because he actually backs up his arguments with actions. He's gone to DC with our friend Mark to protest Bush and the War. And when he's not working, he's out shooting stuff that supports his party and his views, like Mel Watt delivering the mail.

Dan's a great guy who wants the world to be a better place, even if it means using a ton of tax dollars to do it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just surfing through here. I read most of your posts and thought they mainly sounded literate and interesting. But you just need to lose the word "suck" and it's various forms from your online biography. It just gets in the way. When you go to write it, stop and try and think of another way of saying the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, one should always read one's comments before hitting that button. I meant "vocabulary" not "biography." Don't use it anymore. In conversational life maybe it's okay, but the written word asks for some grace from those of us who use it. I don't mean to sound critical. I enjoyed what you wrote.

Anonymous said...

I think the word suck sucks.

Anonymous said...

Dan is a commie!

-Pete