Sunday, August 13, 2006

More Good People Leaving Charlotte for Atlanta

Ok, I realize being a Falcon hater and Charlotte native, I'm biased. However, I'll never understand why people move to Atlanta. Is it really that great? Granted, I've never lived there, only rolled down 85 for short visits or Falcon ass-whipping festivities, but I can't ever said I've had a terrific time there. Well, except for at the Euclid Avenue Yacht Club. That's a fantastic bar. Anyway, webjournalist Kyle Almond left the firm last week for greener pastures at CNN. It's great for Kyle whose talent has surpassed news14charlotte.com, but it sucks for us who are left in the Queen City.

Wednesday was to be Kyle's going away bash at the Gin Mill on a regular media night. I left softball and headed to The Lady's dwelling to let the dog out when Kyle sent me a text message saying he'd been booted out of the bar. Out of all of my pals who have I've had multiple beers with at that bar, Kyle is the last person I thought I'd ever see get kicked out of the Gin Mill.

Turns out Chris Healy who owns the bar didn't remember Kyle and didn't think his faded license was proof enough that he was of legal drinking age. Kyle shook it off and had Lindsay buy him a beer. Unfortunately, Chris saw Kyle with the beer and told him he had to go. So, Kyle's final Wednesday in Charlotte was void of karoke fun which is a damned shame when television's own Kris Cook and I were lined up and ready to sing a special version of Sweet Caroline. We ended up next door at Tavern on the Tracks to have a final beer with him. Kyle will do well at CNN. Too bad it's in Atlanta.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lay off the ATL smack. Sure, it's no QC, but it's got character.

KA said...

So I never saw this post. A stalker friend just e-mailed it to me out of the blue. Hilarious.

The Gin Mill can bite my ass. The ATL bartenders are way less Fascist.

Oh, and tell Schaar that CNN rocks. I spent Sunday on the red carpet at the Academy Awards, looking pimp in a tux and drooling over Jennifer Garner. No chance Alan Mason would ever foot the bill for such an assignment.

Tell everybody who's left I said whass up.