Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Billy and Cal Sr.



I grew up in Charlotte going to Charlotte O's(Orioles) games. Cal Ripken Sr. was the manager at one point and Billy Ripken played second base for what seemed like twenty years, but it actually was only two or three. Cal Jr. even played a few games. They played at Crockett Park off of South Blvd. I remember going there in my old O's t-shirt carrying my O's mini-bat. Unfortunately Crockett Park burned down several years ago. It was my first memory of long johns, or horse troughs.

Anyway, the Charlotte Knights came to town in the late 80's thanks to our friend George Shinn. He built a stadium near his house in Fort Mill and the team has lost money ever since. I hate that the team is losing money, but now they want taxpayers to fund a stadium uptown. I'm 100 percent against taxpayers funding it or any other sports stadium, but if it happens, and knowing Mecklenburg politicians, it will, it will have a lovely backdrop from Third Ward.

No comments: