Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Monday Night All-Stars(and I'm not talking about Jake Delhomme and Steve Smith)



You know those nights you don't plan on going anywhere? The ones where you just want to go home after work and do absolutely nothing? Well, I was having one of those nights, and so were my pals Jim Travers and Mark Campbell. Then Jim was called into the station to fix a weather camera. It also happened to be Monday night. I inquired about 10:30 to see if Jim was contemplating getting a beer. He pointed out that the Gin Mill was closed. I then pointed out that I enjoy using Mondays to go to places other than the Gin Mill. I was thinking Connolly's or RiRa. But the Travers mentioned the Double Door, which on Monday night whips serious ass.

The Double Door has been around since 1973 and they bill themselves as the best place for blues in Charlotte. Actually, the Double Door is the best place for a lot of things in Charlotte. It's the first place I really fell in love with live music. I saw the Drive-by Truckers there several times, including two of the best shows I've ever seen when they played with the now defunct Slobberbone. Those were great nights. I've seen Unknown Hinson there a few times, too. It's a great place for a date, too if you both happen to enjoy live music. Plus, the Monday night special is Busch cans for $1.75!!!

Every monday night, Les Moore runs a blues show with the Monday Night All-Stars. It's a diverse band that brings in a diverse crowd. They are a tight band that can literally get even the worse crowd in a dancing mood. Last night was the first time I'd been in probably five years, and I can't wait to go back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»